McCoy .098 Super Stunt HELP :O

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

McCoy .098 Super Stunt HELP :O

Postby robbinsp » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:14 am

i cant get it to run.

How much Nitro?
What Glow Plug Should i use?

im not into CL but have built a small 1/2a Trainter plane and want to give to my 8 year old niece.

thanks in advance!
Pat
robbinsp

Postby robbinsp » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:45 pm

ummmm anyone know what to start with?
robbinsp

starting

Postby max hansen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:41 am

If the plug is good ,& fresh fuel ,it should run . Use a 7" prop . If all else fails take it over to Tom Sroufe at the muffler shop a block West of main street & tell him Max sent you . Good luck MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

Postby walt » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:17 am

I used to run them when I was a kid, but only remember that they were not very powerful for their weight. I'd say, first make sure yours draws fuel, and will run out a prime. Low nitro and high castor content probably, tho I certainly didn't know/care about that back then. Probably a long thread plug as long as it doesn't hit the piston. Don't remember what was in mine. Check for air leaks and plugged NVA if it won't draw fuel, or won't keep running. If it will run out a prime, then there's probably a problem from the NVA back to the tank. They're not high revvers, so a long prop as Max said. I assume it has good compression and no leaks around the head gasket. Hold it upside down and rotate the prop and you should see bubbles if it leaks. Or immerse the head in gasoline/kerosine etc and rotate the prop to check for bubbles. Also, possible leaks around the case gasket. Look in the exhaust to see if the piston is in backwards. The baffle should be on the intake side, not the exhaust side. Looking at the head might give you a clue there, but can't remember about plug offset. Also, do they have rings? I forget. The rings might be stuck, but probably not if it has good compression. I'd start out checking the fuel draw, fire, etc. before you get into checking this other stuff.
walt

Mccoy098

Postby dennis » Mon May 05, 2008 3:56 pm

Those motors wore out fairly fast. If you have one with a ring on it and it's been run probably it's ring is gone.However all is not lost. If your compression is down weather it's ringed or lapped when I was a lot younger we would first give it a shot of 30 wt oil then a prime then flip it hard. Got at least another season out of them that way.
dennis
dennis

Postby chiefss » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 pm

The 098 didn't have a ring and all the pre-testors McCoys were quite good engines with good longevity. The Superstunts were good engines. We're talking about the duro-matics here, not the Stuff Testors made.
chiefss

Postby kersplat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:10 pm

The McCoy Bump lug .098 did have a ringed piston, I had one.
kersplat

Postby dennis » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:21 pm

chiefss wrote:The 098 didn't have a ring and all the pre-testors McCoys were quite good engines with good longevity. The Superstunts were good engines. We're talking about the duro-matics here, not the Stuff Testors made.

Hate to tell you but I have 2 of them, both ringed. Also a few seasons expoxure to them when I was a lot of years younger. Oh and for the record the Sportsman series really were nothing to write home about. Duro Matics economy engines for the late 40/s early 50's
Dennis
dennis

Postby chiefss » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Well the two I have DON"T have rings and they wee excellent running engines. My dad used one of the on a Ken Willard Breezy for a couple years.
chiefss

Postby robbinsp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 pm

got em going! i useda blend of 20% castor, 10 nitro, 70methanol, a hot plug, and i made spinners for them so i could use my electric starter. theyre firey!

loud and quitedifferent than i expected
:evil: :twisted:
robbinsp

Postby dennis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

chiefss wrote:Well the two I have DON"T have rings and they wee excellent running engines. My dad used one of the on a Ken Willard Breezy for a couple years.

Yes the last of the lot were lapped so thats what you have. The whole series was really not that hot in spite of your memories. The 36 was prone to breaking crankshafts.The ringed ones had too much gap and they were soft to boot. Like i said 30 wt oil was the usual sealent for those engines
dennis

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes