Much help needed with an OS Max 10 - possibly seized-up(?)

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Much help needed with an OS Max 10 - possibly seized-up(?)

Postby Spookster » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:21 am

Hi all I am a complete novice at this.

I have just aquired a Kyosho RS-200 with an OS Max 10 . It's pretty grubby - pine needles, etc. I have checked all the servos and they appear to be functioning correctly.

The engine is not so responsive though.

I have topped it up with fuel tank up and pumped the engine (there is like a two sprung plunger system marked 1 and 2). When pumping the fuel the plunger no. 1 seems to get stuck - when you pull the plunger back up the fuel appears to draw back in to the tank.

When it comes to the corded starter assembly it appears that when you pull the cord it doesn't recoil back in to the casing. I was thinking I would try taking this apart to have a look - any thoughts?

The only other thing I have a question about is the ignition source. In the car manual (which is less than adequate - there doesn't appear to be one for the engine) it just talks about applying the battery. What type of battery is to be used? Are we talking about a 12VDC car battery or a 9VDC (UK PP3 type)?

Lastly (honest), does anybody have or know where I can get hold of a user manual for this engine (PDF format would be ideal).

My experience of forums is that they are a rich source of knowledge and people willing to help so I'd like to express my gratitude in advance of any comments.

Many thanks,

S.
Spookster

Postby gossie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:27 pm

An OS10 is a Glo Plug engine that needs either a 1.5 volt or 2 volt battery to have glo at the plug to make it fire.
You also need a Glo Plug fuel. There are various mixes, but a good starter mix would be 50% methanol, 25% castor oil, and 25% nitro methane. Your local hobby shop may be able to supply you fuel close to the mix i have suggested.

If you put a 12v battery on the plug, it will be toast. Good luck.
gossie

Postby Spookster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:32 am

Does anybody know the difference between the OS Max 10LA and the OS Max 10 - I have found the a manual for the LA version.

Thanks for the info about the fuel - I got given nearly a gallon of fuel which has been used previous to my ownership.

S.
Spookster

Postby Frank Klenk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:08 am

The OS LA series of engines are a bushing engine. The OS Max I'm not sure if it's bushing or bearing. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

Frank
Frank Klenk

Postby SteveM » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Both are bushing motors and should operate pretty much the same way.
SteveM

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes