C/L Diesel I.D.

An open forum on any model diesel engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

C/L Diesel I.D.

Postby Equuleus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:55 pm

I was given a diesel control line engine. It's a 2.5cc engine (so stated on one side of the crankcase) and has a capital "T" on the other side. On top of the cylinder head is stamped "ATC 2". The "2" is stamped under the "ATC". It has a 4-bolt head and 4 exhaust ports (radially, around and under the cylinder head). Any idea what it might be?
Thanks.
Equuleus

Re: C/L Diesel I.D.

Postby raglafart » Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 am

Equuleus wrote:I was given a diesel control line engine. It's a 2.5cc engine (so stated on one side of the crankcase) and has a capital "T" on the other side. On top of the cylinder head is stamped "ATC 2". The "2" is stamped under the "ATC". It has a 4-bolt head and 4 exhaust ports (radially, around and under the cylinder head). Any idea what it might be?
Thanks.

Can you give any more details?
Is it a plain bearing engine or ball raced.
I know of no production engines that had stamped numbers on the cylinder head. There was a German made Jaguar that had "Jaguar" engraved into the cylinder head.
The ATC 2 sounds like an owner who left his or her mark.
Is the cylinder head anodized and if so what color?
It sounds like it may be a Taipan if on one side it has a "T" and the other 2.5
Are the 4 hold down bolts in a square pattern or oblong pattern?

Pictures would be more helpful but if you can answer some of the above questions it may help get a bit closer to the id
raglafart

C/L Diesel I.D.

Postby Equuleus » Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for responding.
It has a plain bronze or brass bearing. No ball or roller bearings.
The prop driver is splined onto the drive shaft, the grooves being on the drive shaft.
The 4-bolt pattern on the head is rectangular (1.5cm x 2.0cm).
The "T" on the crankcase (left side of engine) is inside a depressed circular area 1/2" in diameter.
The "2.5", on the other side of the crankcase is also within a similar circular depression. The "5" is smaller than the "2".
The con rod is cylindrical and about 3/16" in diameter (beefy!).
No anodizing.
Hope that elucidates things a bit more. I could take and attach pictures if need be.
Equuleus

Postby Frank Klenk » Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Pictures are good. Let's see what you have.
Frank Klenk

Re: C/L Diesel I.D.

Postby raglafart » Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Equuleus wrote:Thanks for responding.
It has a plain bronze or brass bearing. No ball or roller bearings.
The prop driver is splined onto the drive shaft, the grooves being on the drive shaft.
The 4-bolt pattern on the head is rectangular (1.5cm x 2.0cm).
The "T" on the crankcase (left side of engine) is inside a depressed circular area 1/2" in diameter.
The "2.5", on the other side of the crankcase is also within a similar circular depression. The "5" is smaller than the "2".
The con rod is cylindrical and about 3/16" in diameter (beefy!).
No anodizing.
Hope that elucidates things a bit more. I could take and attach pictures if need be.

Almost 100% sure it's a Taipan 2.5
With the rectangular as opposed to square layout of the head bolts is virtually a giveaway and what with the splined shaft I would say it's definitely a Taipan.
The port layout should be 4 drilled holes upward at an inclined angle between the 4 exhaust ports.
There should be a hole in the web behind the venturi, this was for the starter spring. Quite a large diameter crankshaft too from memory.
Hope this helps
Regards John
raglafart

Return to Model Diesel Engines