HP .40 Silver Star Cylinder Liner/ piston set

HP engines (Hirtenberger, AG Austria) tech support. Owned by RJL Industries since 1990

Moderator: SteveM

HP .40 Silver Star Cylinder Liner/ piston set

Postby Aaron_Novak » Thu May 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Good Afternoon,
I have an older HP.40 Silver Star that had the liner and piston/ring replaced by my uncle a few years ago. I ordered gaskets and such a day ago or so as I am freshening up the engine, but after giving the cylinder a good inspection, Im finding that the chrome plating is flaking off from the corner of one of the transfer ports. This has a steel sleeve. I showed it to our cylinder plating guru here and he said it appeared to be from not having the liner clean before plating as there are also flakes coming off in the middle of nowhere. The cylinder shows no measurable wear and likewise the piston and ring are in excellent condition. Anyway long story short I guess I need to replace the liner, piston and ring again. Does Mecoa offer a kit of parts for this at a better price, or am I stuck buying them individually?
Thanks!
-Aaron
Aaron_Novak

Postby MECOA » Sat May 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Parts are sold individually. Why don't you have your "cylinder plating guru" replate it for you?
MECOA
Site Admin

chrome bores

Postby Aaron_Novak » Sat May 10, 2008 10:50 pm

[quote="MECOA"]Parts are sold individually. Why don't you have your "cylinder plating guru" replate it for you?[/quote]

I would if we had a diamond hone that small :) and we arent in the re-plating business really anyway. U.S. Chrome will do it for me, but at a higher cost then the replacement part. Well I think this one is headed for the bone yard, and Ill pick up a K&B .46 at the LHS. Dumb question, why did HP go through the trouble of chroming a steel liner instead of just hardening the steel surface itself?

-Aaron
Mercury Marine Advanced Engineering
Aaron_Novak

Return to HP (Austrian) engines Tech Questions