old k&b .40 bearing assembly?

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

old k&b .40 bearing assembly?

Postby et392 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 am

I have disassembled the crank assembly on my old K&B 0.40 #8011 and ordered new bearings. Now I need to figure out the correct way to reassemble. Does anyone know the correct order for assembly of these old 0.40's? There is an inactive link in the FAQ section and I haven't found anything regarding reassembly in my searches.

I have seen advise in some forums that suggest installing the front and rear bearings into the housing first and other recommend installing the rear bearing on the crank first. Judging from the old parts, there seems to be an interference fit between both the front and rear outer races and the housing as well as between both inner races and the crank.
et392

Postby MECOA » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:32 am

Assemble with a little oil. Slip the rear bearing onto the crankshaft - slide this into the housing - slip the front bearing onto the crankshaft - now everything gets pressed together.

You need to press from the face of the crankshaft (where the rod goes) and the outer race of the front bearing. This is just a slight press fit.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions