K&B 65 Sportster Muffler Attachment Problem

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B 65 Sportster Muffler Attachment Problem

Postby wildman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:43 pm

I have an older K&B Sportster (maybe 25 years old). I continually have to replace the forward muffler end cap, with the flange that the muffler mounting screws screw into. Seems that the rear threads strip out frequently.

I have looked at the engine carefully and notice that the two muffler screws are the same size and length, but the rear screw does not penetrate far enough into the flange because the body of the adapter piece (between engine body and muffler) is slightly wider on the rear side. This slightly wider adapter piece does not allow the screw to penetrate through all the threads like it does on the front. What happens is that the screw only penetrates about 75 percent into the threads and with vibration it strips the threads. This never happens to the forward threads because the screw completely penetrates, and grabs all the threads.

Can I get a slightly longer screw that will penetrate completely through the threads on the rear side? If so, what screw would I need (part number please)?

I have replaced the flange about 10 times over the years. Right now it is wired on.

I believe this is a design flaw that could be remedied simply with a longer screw.

Comments Please
wildman

Postby MECOA » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Actually I think the new screw since about 20 years ago are a little longer. I will try to remember to measure one for you or if you want measure yours and post it here.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions