8701 KB 7.5 erratic running

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

8701 KB 7.5 erratic running

Postby remi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:54 pm

I have older model 8701 7.5 OB that has been setting for many years.I went threw and checked everything and cleaned up. Got it running but very erratic. Sometimes Idles sometimes have to hold throttle open and/or feather. I set carb at posted settings and all other adj. occording to manual. It pours fuel out carb and dont know if out bearings ect... since cant really keep running long enough to diagnose. I did notice bearings werent in the best shape but just wanted to see if I could get it running first. I heard if the bearings are bad the wont seal or hold crankcase press. properly but is this my only prob. I will order new bearings as soon as you read this but what else do you guys think I need?
remi

Postby MECOA » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Here's some good reading
http://www.mecoa.com/faq/crankshafts/blowby.htm

Can't say for sure if bearing will solve the problem.
Bubbles in the fuel line while running? Clean fuel lines? New fuel? All possibilities besides the crankshaft mentioned above.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby remi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Everything new, I wanted to mention more but topic was getting lengthy.I have new fuel, new fuel lines, new fuel cell, new carb screws and o-rings. Basically everything new but engine.
remi

Postby MECOA » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:10 am

This is going to be pretty hard to figure out without seeing it. Do you want to send it in for evaluation?
MECOA
Site Admin

KB 3.5 Outboard Modifications

Postby winzracing » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:27 pm

I hope someone can help me and tell me what is exactly done to an Outboard when you send it away to get Modified for racing..You end up paying but NOT sure what has been done inside...Are the Pistons cut on the intake side to let more fuel in and is the exhaust ports cut...Any ideas ans answers and even better pictures will be great...Thanks
winzracing

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions