7.5cc marine #8702 assembly question

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

7.5cc marine #8702 assembly question

Postby fmimages » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:08 am

I am replacing the piston cylinder con rod combo with new parts I just ordered. I measured the squish band at .09 ~ .95 and I don't see a need to shim. I also have the extra teflon pad but the old combo had neither. Should I place both pads on either end of the pin. I plan on using 45% nitro when it is available at the hobby shop. I am ready to go but want to do it proper.
Thanks
FM
fmimages

Postby MECOA » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:52 am

Why is .09 ~ .95 ?

is it MM? .004" ~ .037"?

is it inches .090? Way to big a gap.

You need about .022" for 45% nitro

You may need one or both pads. If the wrist pin hole does not go through use the pad on the open end or the side of the piston the wrist pin can come out of. If the pin can come out either side of the piston put it on both sides. But the pad needs a surface to ride on, it can't go past any open ports while the piston is traveleing up and down. Like the open exhaust port. The exhaust must have a bridge in the center it the end of the pin travels past it. That's why usually the hole doesn't go through the piston and the pad goes opposite the exhaust.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby fmimages » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:38 am

I am reading my measurements in inches. I have made several measurements with the least being about .060 inches which is obviously off the charts according to your standards. I heard of a method of poking a piece of solder through the spark plug hole to get a reading. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the explanation of the teflon pad. I only need one and that is opposite of the exhaust cutout. Thanks for the reply and the reasoning behind it.
fmimages

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions