Need help putting a New-Old K&B 40 into service

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Postby lamarkeiko » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 am

I have a K&B 40 w/square carb that I aquired over 20 years ago from someone who purchased it new, with the thought of getting into RC flying, but didn't follow through. He never ran it on a plane or even on the bench. Since I got it from him I've had it wrapped in a towel and stored in a box put away for my future use. The time has finally came for me to use it, and I'd like some information on what I should first do before I try running it. It does not seem to have much compression, but I'm thinking that's because it has never been broken in. Should I soak it with some kind of cleaning solution first, do any disassembly and clean, or just mount it for bench running and try to fire it up? I have no paper work with the engine so I don't even know how many turns out with the needle valve to start. Any help & advice would be appreciated. It looks just like the K&B part No. 4011, but with a square carb instead of the remote needle valve assembly
Thanks
Lamar
lamarkeiko

Postby Jim Thomerson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 am

The K&B 4011 has a Dykes ring so does not show much compression on hand flipping. If it feels smooth when you turn it over, it is probably OK to just mount up and run. Don't know what to tell you about the needle, as I have always run them control line with a venturi.
Jim Thomerson

Postby Green Jumper » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi

If you have not started the engine yet, I agree with previous post but do recommend ensuring that any foreign matter is removed first. Also suggest flusing interior of engine with some fresh fuel to help do this and to ensure all wet surfaces and bearings before start up. Remove glow plug and drain engine, turning the crank with engine upside down in the process. Reinstall glowplug.

Mecoa has a lot of good info on their website. If you do not have manual, go to http://www.mecoa.com/kb/40/4011.htm for guidance in starting and breakin.

Good Luck!

Art
Green Jumper

Return to General Engine Tech Talk