10.0 cc Heavy Lift aircraft Engine

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

10.0 cc Heavy Lift aircraft Engine

Postby jbrendel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm

If I wanted to use a 10.0 cc (.60 cu) engine to power an aircraft that could carry as much cargo as possible, what would be the best setup for a power plant?
I would believe that it would be the most powerful motor with 10 cc of displacement swinging a large, shallow pitch propeller.
This is part of a competition so, the largest motor allowed is 10 cc.

Thank you for any help.
jbrendel

Postby loucrane » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:17 pm

jbrendel,

A similar competition has been recorded in the modelling press over the years. The rules may very slightly from year to year, to keep emphasis on innovation, and to reduce the "institutional memory" factor.

Have you surfed on the name of the event? It looked like things were getting pretty technical last coverage I saw. There may be some giant shoulders you can stand on to see more clearly...

Luck!
loucrane

Postby jbrendel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Lou,
I have been doing some searching and I have not come across much more than team websites and a forum about aerodynamics. I was a part of the competition last year it is the SAE Aero design competition. From what I gather, the engine displacement has not changed for a couple of years, and if it did I'm sure the High Performance motor I am looking for would come in different displacement models.

I have looked into several motors and I believe that the MECOA HP series delivers the most Horse power per Displacement.

Would you happen to know of any high end racing motor companies that specialize in model airplane engines?

Thank you,
- jbrendel
jbrendel

Postby Jim Thomerson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 am

You might think about a diesel conversion head from Davis Diesel Development. Might work better than glow for the kind of prop you want to swing.
Jim Thomerson

Postby jbrendel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Jim,
That looks great. The added torque will allow for a larger prop and should be able to give more thrust at a lower speed during takeoff. Thank you for your help.
- John
jbrendel

Postby Frank Klenk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:49 pm

jbrendel

A good friend of mine organizes a Heavy Lift Competition yearly. His contest is in September, Windsor Ontario. If you wish I can put you in contact with him.

Frank
Frank Klenk

Postby jbrendel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:51 am

Frank,

That would be great.
Thank you,
- John
jbrendel

Postby Frank Klenk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi John

I just sent you a PM with the contact info.

Cheers
Frank 8)
Frank Klenk

Return to General Engine Tech Talk