k&b .18 aero hedlp!

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

k&b .18 aero hedlp!

Postby craigdennis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 pm

First off I can only get 10,000rpm with 8x4 wood prop. What do I need to check? It is fairly new but not brand new. Secondly I'm not familiar with the low speed carb adjustment as there is no little screw inside throttle barrel. Thanks for any and all help. The engine looks of great quality. I want to enjoy it now lol.
craigdennis

Postby craigdennis » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:47 am

if i need to give more info for anyone to give any sort of advice let me know. i will say the carb i understand the high speed needle is clockwise to lean and counter to richen i believe. the low speed i assume is the small screw on the top next to a tiny air bleed hole how does this get adjusted? please any and all help appreciated
craigdennis

Postby dabraze » Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 am

Hopefully you'll get this in time to help you.

I haven't personally seen the K&B .18. It appears to have an airbleed carburetor, rather than the more common (these days) twin needle.

The airbleed works just like the idle needle, however it works backwards. To lean the idle, back the screw out, to richen it, screw the screw in. If you look closely at the carburetor, you will see a small hole below the idle set screw. As you screw the idle screw in and out, you will notice that it covers and uncovers the hole. To lean the idle mixture, you UNcover the hole, making it larger, admitting more air, and vice-versa to richen it.

The air bleed type of carburetor is more primitive than the twin needle type, but works perfectly well; you will also find that it is a lot less sensitive than an actual idle needle valve. Make sure that the tip of the screw and the air bleed hole are clean and free of any debris.
dabraze

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes