Controlline to R.C. conversion

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Controlline to R.C. conversion

Postby coosbaylumber » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:58 am

I have a couple of old domestic 1950's era control line glow egines. They have had a few lumps and bumps and do not look too good at present time, certainly not a collector's item now. A Johnson, a McCoy, Veco and a green head K&B.

What had been thinking was to remove the carburetor and install a late model domestic or imported carburetor. I have the equipment to install one, but which one?

First off, what internal design considerations should I look for first before trying an adaption? Baffled piston OK? Rear carb with rear rotor OK?

Considering these were slower turning motors, and most today carbs are for much higher RPM is there any comparison?

In view of this, should I adapt a same size carburetor (a .19 to a .19, or a .30 for a .29) or go to one a bit smaller (like a .25 for a .29), and keep the venturi velocities up?

I am not expecting a wide range of RPM as do modern designs, but do expect some noticible up and down. Maybe low enough to stop the airplane from coasting away. Idle at maybe 2000 RPM or so.

Should I insert a hot glow plug or something similar to the original one?

Wm.
coosbaylumber

Postby propwobble » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:35 am

Hi, Sent you a kinda long reply to your post to your message box.
propwobble

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes