K&B Torpedo .45 RC Green Head

An open forum for questions on any control line glow engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

K&B Torpedo .45 RC Green Head

Postby Equuleus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:17 pm

What exactly is the function of the external exhaust closure that works in conjunction with the carburetor? It's the device that opens the exhaust exit completely when full throttle is employed and closes completely when the carburetor is moved to the idle position.

I have been given one of these engines and the screw that holds this plate against the exhaust is broken off with part of the screw still in the threaded hole. I still have the plate and the linking rod.
Equuleus

Postby chiefss » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:16 pm

It's called an exhaust baffle and it keeps the plug hot at idle. These old engines didn't have an idle adjust. You filed a very small V in the carb barrel which acted like the airbleed hole in a modern airbleed carb. Once you had it just right, you had to use the same plug, fuel and prop or the idle was off.

If you screwed up filing the barrel, you had to buy a new one and start over. The K&B 45 was THE engine to have in the late 50's and early 60's. It was overshadowed by the Veco 45 but was still a good engine. They cost $27.95 in 1960. A weeks worth of groceries for a family of five. I remember Ma bitching about that. You should have heard her when she found out what an Orbit ten channel reed radio cost. With servos it was $600. Try that in todays' dollars.

By the way, it's an R/C engine not a control line engine
chiefss

Return to Control Line Glow Engines