The pros and cons of using either methanol or gas fuel

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

The pros and cons of using either methanol or gas fuel

Postby bikeflyer43 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:57 pm

I've been involved in flying model airplanes since the early 50's. I have just recently become involved with SAM and have collected two very nice reconditioned ignition engines. Now, I've never used or even seen one run until I attended the SAM Southwest Regionals last month. My question is, whether to use coleman fuel or FAI? That question seems to start a loud conversation just like the differance of opinion between R/C assist and F/F. My pretty O&R 60 and Forester .29 both have brand new plastic fuel tanks. I'm told that methanol will destroy the plastic tanks and eat the neoprene gasket between the cylinder and crankcase on the O&R. Is there any real reason to not use coleman fuel? I was planning to use 3:1, coleman and castor. Looking forward to the input. :(
bikeflyer43

Postby chiefss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:15 pm

I run my ignition engines on either. The methanol is cheaper and works fine, I mix it 3 to 1 with castor oil. Actually runs cooler than Coleman fuel which is Naptha, the same as lighter fluid.

Yes the alcohol will ruin original plastic fuel tanks. Sort of makes them change shape and turn yellow.

As far as the gaskets in the Ohlsson's it's not the methanol, it's nitromethane than ruins them. DON'T run nitro in an Ohlsson. I had a friend who could break the weld in an Ohlsson replace the gasket and re spotweld it but he has long since passed on.

Ordinary FAI fuel with 25% castor will work fine.
chiefss

Postby bikeflyer43 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Bruce, thanks for the help with my McCoy! I know a man in Arizona, George Tenant, Who can still do the repair. However I understand it's kind of tough to get him to do it. I had planned to run the methanol but Woody Bartlett was kind of insistant on the use of gas. I also want to run Coleman. What about Aircraft 100 low lead? Got a friend that still flies. wouldn't that fuel work? Again, thanks, Harry
bikeflyer43

Postby chiefss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Woody is a purest and believes an old ignition engine should run on gasoline and there is nothing wrong with that. I do it occasionally but dragging a bottle of gasoline ( according to my 89 YO man it must be in a Haig & Haig Pinch bottle) is a pain and more dangerous than methanol or Coleman fuel. It is also difficult to find 70wt motor oil which is the recommended lube for gasoline. Gasoline runs hotter too.

I know George. I think he lived in San Diego when I worked there at Hobby Shack.

Any unleaded gasoline will work fine. Engines are too small to worry about octane rating as they won't knock if set right.
chiefss

Postby chiefss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Parts go out tomorrow. I threw in some original McCoy head gasket material just to prove I'm the jerk Nitro-pilot (R. Rosypal) says I am. Always out to screw a fellow modeler. Hope you get your engine running. I should have given you one as I have several of them in all sizes.
chiefss

the pros and cons of using either methanol or gas fuel

Postby bikeflyer43 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:27 pm

You have already done more than enough. I'm sure that I'll be asking many more questions in the future as I muddle along learning something "new". I guess that my main problem is that I love all things that run. These old sparkers are absolutely fantastic in their simplicity! I wish I'd gotten involved a long time ago, when it was not only cheaper but easier to find stuff for them. As I've already said, Thank you, for the parts and the info, Harry
bikeflyer43

Postby chiefss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:32 pm

You got questions, I got answers, millions of them. Been doing this for a long time and my dad's been doing it since 1929. I have all of his old engines and some are worth a fortune. I have an M&M 6 cylinder radial made in 1938. One of a kind.
chiefss

Return to Spark Ignition Engines