Cleveland "Tom Thumb"

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Cleveland "Tom Thumb"

Postby roostonu » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:34 pm

I have a Cleveland "Tom Thumb" engine with 7/8" bore and 13/16" stroke from somewhere between 1936 and 1938. The Tom Thumbs were made by Bunch for Cleveland Model and Supply with Cleveland Tom Thumb stamped on the cylinder. The ports are brazed to the cylinder. Cleveland Model and Supply only has one other Tom Thumb in their archives and it has a different head on it. Mine is missing the fuel tank and fuel inlet tube but otherwise is in pretty good shape. Does anyone have an idea of how collectable they are or what the value of it may be?
roostonu

Re: Cleveland "Tom Thumb"

Postby Milt » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:22 am

roostonu wrote:I have a Cleveland "Tom Thumb" engine with 7/8" bore and 13/16" stroke from somewhere between 1936 and 1938. The Tom Thumbs were made by Bunch for Cleveland Model and Supply with Cleveland Tom Thumb stamped on the cylinder. The ports are brazed to the cylinder. Cleveland Model and Supply only has one other Tom Thumb in their archives and it has a different head on it. Mine is missing the fuel tank and fuel inlet tube but otherwise is in pretty good shape. Does anyone have an idea of how collectable they are or what the value of it may be?

Does your engine have the smooth head or head fins? The 1946 Warren Tom thumb has head fins. In good concition these bring some around $250. To $300.00
Milt[/quote]
Milt

Re: Cleveland "Tom Thumb"

Postby roostonu » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 am

Milt wrote:
roostonu wrote:I have a Cleveland "Tom Thumb" engine with 7/8" bore and 13/16" stroke from somewhere between 1936 and 1938. The Tom Thumbs were made by Bunch for Cleveland Model and Supply with Cleveland Tom Thumb stamped on the cylinder. The ports are brazed to the cylinder. Cleveland Model and Supply only has one other Tom Thumb in their archives and it has a different head on it. Mine is missing the fuel tank and fuel inlet tube but otherwise is in pretty good shape. Does anyone have an idea of how collectable they are or what the value of it may be?

Does your engine have the smooth head or head fins? The 1946 Warren Tom thumb has head fins. In good concition these bring some around $250. To $300.00
Milt
[/quote]

Thanks, the info I got from Cleveland and Collectair dates it to 1938. It has a finned head and is stamped Cleveland Tom Thumb. Externally it was in pretty good shape and had some compression but I don't know what kind of shape it was in internally. The owner of Cleveland Model and Supply bought it for $350.
roostonu

Return to Spark Ignition Engines